Skip to main content

The Culture of Connectivity - Jose Van Dijck - Chapter 7



This chapter focuses on Wikipedia. Wikipedia is much different from the other sites discussed in the book so far, however its inclusion in the top influential actors in the digital landscape is undeniable. 

Wikipedia is a "professionally run, volunteer based, nonprofit organization whose goal is the online production of an encyclopedia" (p. 132). It's nonprofit status came about due to the creation and maintenance of the Wikimedia Foundation. The sites is founded on five basic principles, but she never actually lists those 5 principles, but says that neutrality is the most important of them and while the elements that measure the success of the encyclopedia also cause "disenchantment" for those who feel that the focus on neutrality and the bureaucratic structure limits the site.

Van Dijck discuses the users of the site and states that crowd management is one of the sites biggest strengths. She points out that it is neither the specialists or the generalists that contribute the most value. Based on the research of the site, it is the fact that both are active that makes the site so successful. Both types of input are important. The specialists bring quality and the generalists bring connectivity! Te crown management is best seen in its ability to accommodate many of these different types of users, including the passive reader and active contributor, the occasional or the frequent poster, etc.

In terms of technology of the site there is a fascinating focus on the use of bots on the site. If you are looking for specifics, I recommend checking out the book chapter, but for the purposes of this post I'm going to be a bit broad. The site has bots for several different tasks and they are included in the hierarchy of permissions. The bots are either editing (coauthors that supplement or maintain particular topics or pages) or non-editing (admins that perform technical tasks). They are all considered content agents, but neither the bots nor humans work alone. It is really interesting and like I said, it's worth the read!

Wikipedia ties into the connective culture with other social media sites, but has many stark differences. It does not compete for the same digital or physical resources as other sites like Facebook or Twitter. In addition while those sites are primarily working in the realms of entertainment and socialization, Wikipedia focuses on sharing knowledge which, according to Van Dijck, elevates all social media content. It is important to note that while there are important distinction between Wikipedia and other social media sites, this does not mean that they conflict. In fact the sites goals of neutrality mesh very well with Facebook's focus on sharing and Google's use of popularity ranking in searches. Van Dijck says that its this compatibility that has allowed the site to maintain its place over the years. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Culture of Connectivity - Jose Van Dijck - Chapter 2

In chapter 2, van Dijck gets a little more technical. He presents definitions for various aspects of the social media construction.  Technologies included: data, metadata, algorithm, protocols, interfaces, and defaults He broke down the concepts of users and usage: " Implicit participation is the usage inscribed in the engineer's design by means of the coding mechanisms" (p.33).  " Explicit use refers to how real or actual users interact with social media" (p.33). He discuses content (text, music, or videos) and how these display the opinions of the users, the things they are interested in or want, and other social trends and consumer practices.  He describes ownership of the social media site, governance (mechanisms, communication and data traffic management), and business models and intentions of the site and how these 3 things work with the previous 3 things (content, user agency, and content) to create online sociality. Ultimately the focus of this chapter...

Favorite Places - Lucky Goat Coffee - Tallahassee, FL

This place has only been working its way into my list of favorite places. I've lived in Tallahassee for about 2 years and its my go to place when I want a good cup of coffee or to get out of the apt and study or do work. I don't know too much about it but what I can't stress enough is the need for you all to stop in and get one of their cold brew brownies!!! I guess it was last summer, but I went in for a coffee and decided I wanted something sweet, so I got a brownie. My life was changed forever, LOL, this was one of the best brownies I have ever eaten. It was fudgy, it was chocolaty, I think the cold brew was in there like chocolate chips. I went back every single day for like a week and ha half before I made myself stop.  I like the Midtown location and I would also recommend the pistachio muffin, but that brownie....  Here is the link to their website: https://luckygoatcoffee.com/

The Big Sleep - Book Suggestion

Reading has always been a bit of an escape for me. As long as I can remember, I've been obsessed with fiction and the ability to get away from my present and go pretty much anywhere. Even as I am pursuing my Phd, I find that I am constantly buying (odd for someone with a Library degree) the next novel that I want to read. I almost always have a novel on me, I think I really picked the habit up when I moved to New York and realized there is so much time to read throughout the day that you might miss. Taking the train, waiting rooms, random periods when you are in between tasks, etc. So since then, I find that I get through more novels that expected, even though I'm in a period of study that requires a lot of reading. I've been on a bit of a noir kick. I love the old movies and I've discovered that some of my favorites are based on novels and that the author has written many more. I've always loved The Big Sleep with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall and found out tha...