Skip to main content

Social Media and Learning

I think one of the things that has stuck with me most over this course is that Social Media lends itself to learning over education. Ironically though the platforms promote sociality, it is the individuals adventure as they seek out knowledge on topics that arise. 

As someone who used to be a teacher and who is looking at the phenomenon of social media use in informal and formal learning in an effort to help develop policy for its use in schools this can sometime be frustrating. How do we create policy and encourage the use of something that has so many benefits to students development in their reading, communication, connections, and access in our schools if its success is seen in at the individual level?

This article really got me thinking, so I thought I would share it here. 


Thoughts? Comments? Share!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Culture of Connectivity - Jose Van Dijck - Chapter 2

In chapter 2, van Dijck gets a little more technical. He presents definitions for various aspects of the social media construction.  Technologies included: data, metadata, algorithm, protocols, interfaces, and defaults He broke down the concepts of users and usage: " Implicit participation is the usage inscribed in the engineer's design by means of the coding mechanisms" (p.33).  " Explicit use refers to how real or actual users interact with social media" (p.33). He discuses content (text, music, or videos) and how these display the opinions of the users, the things they are interested in or want, and other social trends and consumer practices.  He describes ownership of the social media site, governance (mechanisms, communication and data traffic management), and business models and intentions of the site and how these 3 things work with the previous 3 things (content, user agency, and content) to create online sociality. Ultimately the focus of this chapter...

Favorite Places - Lucky Goat Coffee - Tallahassee, FL

This place has only been working its way into my list of favorite places. I've lived in Tallahassee for about 2 years and its my go to place when I want a good cup of coffee or to get out of the apt and study or do work. I don't know too much about it but what I can't stress enough is the need for you all to stop in and get one of their cold brew brownies!!! I guess it was last summer, but I went in for a coffee and decided I wanted something sweet, so I got a brownie. My life was changed forever, LOL, this was one of the best brownies I have ever eaten. It was fudgy, it was chocolaty, I think the cold brew was in there like chocolate chips. I went back every single day for like a week and ha half before I made myself stop.  I like the Midtown location and I would also recommend the pistachio muffin, but that brownie....  Here is the link to their website: https://luckygoatcoffee.com/

Let's Get This BREAD!!!

So one of my interest have always been in cooking. Something I've been trying to learn to do is to make a sourdough starter. For some reason, I just can't manage to make one. The results have been horrific and the things of nightmare. I'm not planning on stopping, however I have found away around it.  It's called The No Knead Method and the baker who came up with it is named Jim Lahey. So when it came time to work on my produsage assignment for this class I decided I would create a resource where I could gather and present my resources on bread making. Hopefully others will find it interesting and helpful and they will add their own resources and attempts at making bread. If you are interested feel free to join the community here: http://www.pearltrees.com/sab07f/bread-baking-with-bunn/id33065706 For now enjoy this post about my attempt! So, as I mentioned I followed the No Knead Method. I started by gathering the ingredients. I have certain selected brands on the Pearl...