Skip to main content

Sentiment Analysis, Big Data, and Policy

Most of my work so far has been in qualitative methodologies, but as I progress through my Web Analytics course, I find that Big Data sparks my interest like RCTs and other quantitative methodologies never have. I am also focusing on Social Media and learning in a research project that I am a part of and plan to engage with it in my dissertation from a policy standpoint. 

As I read the Batrinca & Treleaven (2015) article for my web analytics class, I started to wonder how text analytics and sentiment analysis might be used to gather more information regarding how people felt and talked about policy. Twitter and other platforms are all used to discuss policies and programs that have passed, what outcomes they have produced, and people’s feelings about all those aspects. I wonder how Big Data might be used to provide more background and be used to make decisions regarding policy and amendments to those policies and if there is a way to use the processes to collect qualitative data as well. Is it possible to locate what was said by those that felt alienated from a policy for example, and use this qualitatively to aid in evaluation, decision making, and future planning?  

Batrinca B., & Treleaven, P. C. (2015). Social media analytics: A survey of techniques, tools and platforms. AI & Society, 30, 89-116. doi: 10.1007/s00146-014-0549-4 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Culture of Connectivity - Jose Van Dijck - Chapter 2

In chapter 2, van Dijck gets a little more technical. He presents definitions for various aspects of the social media construction.  Technologies included: data, metadata, algorithm, protocols, interfaces, and defaults He broke down the concepts of users and usage: " Implicit participation is the usage inscribed in the engineer's design by means of the coding mechanisms" (p.33).  " Explicit use refers to how real or actual users interact with social media" (p.33). He discuses content (text, music, or videos) and how these display the opinions of the users, the things they are interested in or want, and other social trends and consumer practices.  He describes ownership of the social media site, governance (mechanisms, communication and data traffic management), and business models and intentions of the site and how these 3 things work with the previous 3 things (content, user agency, and content) to create online sociality. Ultimately the focus of this chapter...

Favorite Places - Lucky Goat Coffee - Tallahassee, FL

This place has only been working its way into my list of favorite places. I've lived in Tallahassee for about 2 years and its my go to place when I want a good cup of coffee or to get out of the apt and study or do work. I don't know too much about it but what I can't stress enough is the need for you all to stop in and get one of their cold brew brownies!!! I guess it was last summer, but I went in for a coffee and decided I wanted something sweet, so I got a brownie. My life was changed forever, LOL, this was one of the best brownies I have ever eaten. It was fudgy, it was chocolaty, I think the cold brew was in there like chocolate chips. I went back every single day for like a week and ha half before I made myself stop.  I like the Midtown location and I would also recommend the pistachio muffin, but that brownie....  Here is the link to their website: https://luckygoatcoffee.com/

The Big Sleep - Book Suggestion

Reading has always been a bit of an escape for me. As long as I can remember, I've been obsessed with fiction and the ability to get away from my present and go pretty much anywhere. Even as I am pursuing my Phd, I find that I am constantly buying (odd for someone with a Library degree) the next novel that I want to read. I almost always have a novel on me, I think I really picked the habit up when I moved to New York and realized there is so much time to read throughout the day that you might miss. Taking the train, waiting rooms, random periods when you are in between tasks, etc. So since then, I find that I get through more novels that expected, even though I'm in a period of study that requires a lot of reading. I've been on a bit of a noir kick. I love the old movies and I've discovered that some of my favorites are based on novels and that the author has written many more. I've always loved The Big Sleep with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall and found out tha...