Skip to main content

The Culture of Connectivity - Jose Van Dijck - Chapter 3



In chapter 3 JVD, tackles Facebook. 

In this chapter he explores the created norm of sharing. He argues that this is an evolving norm, and through the popularity and size of Facebook, this platform is most responsible for this contribution to the culture of connectivity. 

In terms of the technology of sharing there are two aspects. The first is connectedness and the other is connectivity. Connectedness are the traits you are familiar with. All the things that link you to those around you on the website, Connectivity is the sharing of your user data with some third party. 

One particularly interesting topic is Facebooks creation of the Like button. This feature plays into the connectivity of sharing while appearing as an example of the other. On the surface when you hit the like button on goods or products it shows up on your friends feed and therefore seems you are sharing your interest within the site. However, when you click on the Like button there is also a sharing of data between the products site and FB that is recorded and added into the algorithms so that both sites can tailor the experience for the user of what new information is presented. Through this Like button, the norm of third part sharing was acceptable, where other attempts had failed.

 The chapter continues discussing how FB has developed over the years, transitioning from a database of personality to a narrative/timeline style presentation of self/identity. JVD discusses how this is all ties into the user/owner power struggle between connectedness and connectivity. How this dynamic is a "balancing act between stimulating users' activity and exploiting it; its [Facebook] success depends on customers' willingness to contribute data and to allow maximum data mining" (p.64).

Ultimately this chapter describes the powerhouse that is Facebook and how it has had major lasting  contributions to the development of social media and the connected culture that uses it. Even if it should lose its popularity, the effects will be noticeable for quite some time.

Comments

  1. I agree with your last statement about FB's empowering community connectivity. I had never thought the addition of the like button as an innovation of connection. I would be curious to know more about how the dynamics of personal narratives and timelines are negotiated by users on other platforms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this summary. The distinction between connectivity and connectedness is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Danielle and Lee, for checking my blog out! It's always nice to see someone interested!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Culture of Connectivity - Jose Van Dijck - Chapter 2

In chapter 2, van Dijck gets a little more technical. He presents definitions for various aspects of the social media construction.  Technologies included: data, metadata, algorithm, protocols, interfaces, and defaults He broke down the concepts of users and usage: " Implicit participation is the usage inscribed in the engineer's design by means of the coding mechanisms" (p.33).  " Explicit use refers to how real or actual users interact with social media" (p.33). He discuses content (text, music, or videos) and how these display the opinions of the users, the things they are interested in or want, and other social trends and consumer practices.  He describes ownership of the social media site, governance (mechanisms, communication and data traffic management), and business models and intentions of the site and how these 3 things work with the previous 3 things (content, user agency, and content) to create online sociality. Ultimately the focus of this chapter...

Favorite Places - Lucky Goat Coffee - Tallahassee, FL

This place has only been working its way into my list of favorite places. I've lived in Tallahassee for about 2 years and its my go to place when I want a good cup of coffee or to get out of the apt and study or do work. I don't know too much about it but what I can't stress enough is the need for you all to stop in and get one of their cold brew brownies!!! I guess it was last summer, but I went in for a coffee and decided I wanted something sweet, so I got a brownie. My life was changed forever, LOL, this was one of the best brownies I have ever eaten. It was fudgy, it was chocolaty, I think the cold brew was in there like chocolate chips. I went back every single day for like a week and ha half before I made myself stop.  I like the Midtown location and I would also recommend the pistachio muffin, but that brownie....  Here is the link to their website: https://luckygoatcoffee.com/

Let's Get This BREAD!!!

So one of my interest have always been in cooking. Something I've been trying to learn to do is to make a sourdough starter. For some reason, I just can't manage to make one. The results have been horrific and the things of nightmare. I'm not planning on stopping, however I have found away around it.  It's called The No Knead Method and the baker who came up with it is named Jim Lahey. So when it came time to work on my produsage assignment for this class I decided I would create a resource where I could gather and present my resources on bread making. Hopefully others will find it interesting and helpful and they will add their own resources and attempts at making bread. If you are interested feel free to join the community here: http://www.pearltrees.com/sab07f/bread-baking-with-bunn/id33065706 For now enjoy this post about my attempt! So, as I mentioned I followed the No Knead Method. I started by gathering the ingredients. I have certain selected brands on the Pearl...