Skip to main content

Lurker Alert!!!! - Networks, Communities, Freeloaders, and Lurkers

This week focused on the difference between what constitutes a network or a community. After my explorations, I've settled on the following definitions:

Network - A group of people connected through a chain of common interests/themes.

Community - People you know who share a common interest/theme.

Lurker - Someone on social media that acts more as an observer than a participant.

Freeloader - An even more negative reference to a social media lurker.

I think that in the common vernacular there is little differentiation between the use of the term network vs. community, though I think the nuances are important when you are analyzing social media in terms of its utility and effects on the individual and society. A true community is going to provide a much deeper and more valuable space to someone than a network if they are looking to develop their identity or find friendship. A network will be more useful if you are trying to reach far and make connections with those who may help you if you are job searching or looking for information on a shared interest.

I definitely do my fair share of lurking. I window shop and scroll through feeds without sharing or commenting and learn from what is posted. However I am much more active in my communities of friends and co-workers that I am for my networks. When I am active on most social media, I tend to act with the interest of my communities in mind rather that those who are networked in, though now that I've typed that I think I consider acquaintances (people I know, but I am not close with) as networks rather than communities...which goes against the definitions I provided earlier. 

PS. I think that Lurker and Freeloader are really harsh terms to refer to people who are coming into contact with the information that was chosen to be made public.  

Comments

  1. When the title of your entry came across my RSS feed, I thought, "Oh no! My lurking tendencies have been revealed! :) Seriously though, I was very interested in what you had to say. I agree Lurker and Freeloaders are very negative sounding terms. I also share your thoughts on communities being deeper than networks. Though at any given moment, my interactions may be similar, there is a difference. I feel like I know the people in my community. I know about the people in my networks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that description! Much more succinct than mine! I know my community. I know ABOUT my platform. Thanks for the support and feel free to lurk anytime. Lol!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Culture of Connectivity - Jose Van Dijck - Chapter 2

In chapter 2, van Dijck gets a little more technical. He presents definitions for various aspects of the social media construction.  Technologies included: data, metadata, algorithm, protocols, interfaces, and defaults He broke down the concepts of users and usage: " Implicit participation is the usage inscribed in the engineer's design by means of the coding mechanisms" (p.33).  " Explicit use refers to how real or actual users interact with social media" (p.33). He discuses content (text, music, or videos) and how these display the opinions of the users, the things they are interested in or want, and other social trends and consumer practices.  He describes ownership of the social media site, governance (mechanisms, communication and data traffic management), and business models and intentions of the site and how these 3 things work with the previous 3 things (content, user agency, and content) to create online sociality. Ultimately the focus of this chapter...

The Big Sleep - Book Suggestion

Reading has always been a bit of an escape for me. As long as I can remember, I've been obsessed with fiction and the ability to get away from my present and go pretty much anywhere. Even as I am pursuing my Phd, I find that I am constantly buying (odd for someone with a Library degree) the next novel that I want to read. I almost always have a novel on me, I think I really picked the habit up when I moved to New York and realized there is so much time to read throughout the day that you might miss. Taking the train, waiting rooms, random periods when you are in between tasks, etc. So since then, I find that I get through more novels that expected, even though I'm in a period of study that requires a lot of reading. I've been on a bit of a noir kick. I love the old movies and I've discovered that some of my favorites are based on novels and that the author has written many more. I've always loved The Big Sleep with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall and found out tha...

Favorite Places - Lucky Goat Coffee - Tallahassee, FL

This place has only been working its way into my list of favorite places. I've lived in Tallahassee for about 2 years and its my go to place when I want a good cup of coffee or to get out of the apt and study or do work. I don't know too much about it but what I can't stress enough is the need for you all to stop in and get one of their cold brew brownies!!! I guess it was last summer, but I went in for a coffee and decided I wanted something sweet, so I got a brownie. My life was changed forever, LOL, this was one of the best brownies I have ever eaten. It was fudgy, it was chocolaty, I think the cold brew was in there like chocolate chips. I went back every single day for like a week and ha half before I made myself stop.  I like the Midtown location and I would also recommend the pistachio muffin, but that brownie....  Here is the link to their website: https://luckygoatcoffee.com/